Saturday, November 1, 2014

CYOA brainstorming: What is a CYOA?

I'll let 1d4chan explain CYOAs:
CYOA is an abbreviation of 'choose your own adventure.' When mentioned on 4chan, these are images that describe varied scenarios with a common theme, intended to spark discussion about the choices you would make as you describe why you feel one of the offered choices is better than the others. 
It's like that question "would you rather fight a horse-sized duck, or a flock of duck-sized horses?" except you have a dozen choices and they're all awesome.
They're a fun way to pass the time. They can also be useful for coming up with interesting ideas that you may not have had otherwise. And this month is all about practical demonstrations of that idea. Plus, while we're at it, I'm going to be archiving some of my favorite CYOAs. Two birds with one stone.

When I use a CYOA for the first time, as a genuine "If I had these options available to me, what would I do?" thought experiment, I'm usually very practical. Sometimes to a boring degree. At the very least you'll often see me pick similar power sets again and again. Here, instead, I'm going to be picking

Click on the images in each post for bigger versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment